The Mesnerhaus was first mentioned in a document in 1330.
The Archdiocese of Salzburg took ownership of the house in 1550, from then on it served as a sacristan's house, vicariate house and residence for teachers and organists. There are documents from the 17th century which show that the schoolmaster applied for the building, then also known as the “Egghäusl”, as a residential and school building. The wages as a teacher were so low that he also had to work as an organist, sacristan and clerk and also had a little grocery shopping.
In 1706, a large part of the house fell victim to the fire that raged in the center of Rauris and destroyed or seriously damaged more than 40 other buildings in addition to the church and St. Michael's Chapel. The sacristan's house was rebuilt in 1708.
The sacristan's house was then a schoolhouse for many years until it became too small in the 1880s and today's valley museum was adapted for additional classrooms. In 1936 the last sacristan to live in this house died, and the house was still used as a residential building until 1948. In the 1950s, the Old Mesnerhaus was redesigned into a cinema and operated as such until 1970 - when television finally began its triumphant advance into people's living rooms.
From this time on, the desolate building was used as a warehouse, and during the church renovation it was even used as a mortuary for a short time.
In 2019, the general renovation of the building started by the market town of Rauris with cost sharing by the Archdiocese and the State of Salzburg, which was completed in a record time of only 7 months.
On January 26th, 2020 the house was blessed and given its new purpose as a house for culture and literature.